Job Summary: The Kohala Center (TKC) and the County of Hawai‘i Department of Parks and Recreation partner to provide park oversight and marine education and outreach to visitors to Kahalu‘u Bay and Beach Park. The County looks to TKC to notify the County of any issues at the park and to provide education for all visitors in the following subjects: park rules, safe and appropriate use of the park, the respectful behaviors expected of all who enter the water and utilize the beach park, limited natural resources, cultural and natural history. TKC also monitors surf concessions at Kahalu‘u Beach Park, with all profits to be used for educational and management purposes and for the restoration of the park.
The Specialist will provide educational information to visitors to the Bay to educate them about the intrinsic values of the ecological and cultural contributions of the bay. In addition, the Specialist will monitor all park activities and permitted surf school operations to assure everyone is adhering to applicable rules and laws.
Under the general supervision of the Kahalu‘u Bay Education Center (KBEC) Program Director, the Information and Education Specialist will be responsible for:
- Serving as an Aloha Ambassador for Kahalu‘u Bay by welcoming visitors to the Bay and maintaining a pleasant attitude to all visitors, surf schools, and staff at all times.
- Providing information including appropriate actions and behaviors to ensure a positive experience for Kahalu‘u Bay and its visitors.
- Engaging respectfully with park patrons to teach and show them proper marine safety and how to protect the reef.
- Educating interested guests about the historical and cultural resources present as a means to connect to Kahalu‘u Bay as a wahi pana.
- Monitoring activities in the park and contacting appropriate County and State agencies when necessary.
- Advising unpermitted surf schools or other unpermitted ocean recreational instructors, with a sense of confidence and Aloha, that instruction is prohibited without a permit and that they must find another location.
- Notifying KBEC Program Director of any major incidents immediately.
- Writing incident reports.
Surf School Monitoring
- Monitoring all permitted surf schools.
- Conducting daily checks of surf schools to ensure compliance with rules and laws.
- Surveying surf school students on their experience.
- Receiving and logging patron compliants.
- Conducting monthly reviews of permitted surf schools to ensure all certifications are current.
- Attending surf school advisory board meetings on request.
- Writing reports.
Additional duties may be assigned by the Program Director.
- Knowledge of Hawai‘i‘s shoreline marine environment.
- Knowledge of Kahaluʻu Bay and surrounding area, including its cultural and historical landscapes.
- 2+ years experience working with a surf school, in community outreach, and/or customer service.
- 2+ years in a management or supervisory position.
Mental, Physical, Communication Demands and Requirements:
- Ability to work under pressure and problem-solve.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work with a wide range of people in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent listening skills.
- Respectful and humble attitude.
- Strong public speaking skills.
- Ability to lift items up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to work on one’s feet for a full workday.
- Computer skills in Excel, Word.
- Diplomacy and excellent judgment.
- Must be on time, alert and ready to work at the start of your shift.
- Must wear provided uniform and uniform must look professional, be clean and without holes or tears.
- Your appearance must be well groomed and you must maintain excellent personal hygiene.
- Must be able to work weekday and/or weekend schedule, on-call, and rotating schedules.
- Work takes places in an outdoor, sunny, shoreline environment.
- Must have access to reliable, insured vehicle.
Computer and standard office equipment.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this classification. It is not to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory, or all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job. Management has the right to add to, revise, or delete information in this description. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Posted: December 19, 2017