The Kohala Center’s Beginning Farmer-Rancher Development Program (BFRDP) is seeking an Agricultural Production Assistant to assist with developing and maintaining its Demonstration Farm and satellite teaching locations.
Under the general supervision of The Kohala Center’s agricultural production specialist, the agricultural production assistant will support BFRDP through the following activities.
- Assists the BFRDP agricultural production specialist and other program staff to establish and maintain agricultural training sites in Honoka‘a and Kohala that serve as outdoor teaching, demonstration, and production classrooms. Sites should be developed with diversified operations that illustrate the development and management of orchards, vegetable crops, and animal husbandry associated with successful small scale farms.
- Assists the BFRDP agricultural production specialist and other program staff in designing and implementing our Sustainable Agriculture Program for High School Students.
- Assists with the recruitment of program participants and provides on-going support to participants during all aspects of the training programs.
- Assists with marketing agricultural products produced at TKC’s agricultural training sites.
- Assists with record keeping, reporting, and communications for the training programs and general farm operation.
- Represents The Kohala Center as an expert in sustainable food production and farmer training in highly divergent forums from the agriculture and food production industries.
- Other duties and tasks that may be assigned by the agricultural production specialist, or other staff.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional interpersonal, verbal, and written communications skills required.
- Good judgment and the ability to effectively manage inexperienced students in farm and community settings are essential.
- Proven ability to interact positively with a wide variety of people in groups and in one-on-one personal communication.
- Strong knowledge of sustainable food production and the building of soil fertility.
- Knowledge of farm planning, farm production economics, and sound marketing strategies.
- Working knowledge of farm equipment maintenance and repair.
- Strong organizational, project management, and time management skills.
- Ability to work positively in a fast-paced, demanding, and collaborative organization.
- Must have reliable personal transportation for use in traveling between work sites.
- Three years of experience as a successful production farmer and/or agricultural production instructor at a functioning educational farm.
- B.A. in agriculture or agricultural ecology preferred.
- This position requires mobility as well as evening and weekend hours.
- This position requires the ability to perform heavy physical work and operate heavy equipment.
- Work is performed outdoors as well as in a variety of settings in the community.
- Out of area travel is required from time to time – generally to neighboring islands, with potential out-of-state travel.
Posted: February 21, 2017